[Nfb-krafters-korner] macramé again, descriptions included

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 15 04:18:35 UTC 2012

Hi all --
for those who wanted me to send out the descriptions of the belts I featured
in the class I taught last year, I am afraid I didn't type it up in a file.
I could do that easily now, but it would require a little work and jogging
of memory.

I will think more on it and try and send something tomorrow.  Meanwhile, I
have a question.  There are commonly used names for the various knots.  One
is the square knot, which everyone knows how to do.  The other knot I used
was one that I always thought was called the cord knot, but then on the
internet I thought I saw it called something else, like a hitch or half
hitch or something.
Does anyone know the knot I'm talking about? and can you name it for me?

The knot by itself is as follows:

You have a horizontal and a vertical cord, and the vertical cord passes
behind the horizontal, which I call the beam, as it acts as the filler of
the knot.
To make the knot, bring the lower part of the vertical cord up and above the
beam, to the right of itself, then back behind the beam and down.  Tighten
the vertical wrap, taking care not to bend the beam.  You now have a
vertical cord wrapped once around the beam.

Now take the lower part of the vertical cord again and this time bring it up
and to the left over the beam.  Pull the cord behind the beam and then pull
it through to the right of the loop you just formed.
Gently tighten the knot.

What you end up with is a vertical doubly wrapped cord around a horizontal
beam.

Now if you take other vertical cords and repeat the process, you get what
looks like a beam wrapped with cord.
The reverse side is less interesting -- a row of diagonal stitches.

Anyway, the one belt I made used only this knot, using 4 cords -- one the
beam or filler cord and the others using repeated beams to form zigzag
design with wooden beads at the points.
I chose Christmas colors as that was when I made it -- green cord and red
beads.

I'll save anything else for other mail.
Have fun!
and don't get tied up in knots...*smile*
--le