[Nfb-krafters-korner] crochet witch hat

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Fri Sep 21 12:34:06 UTC 2012

I had told the folks in the pumpkin class I had a witch hat and I am
putting it into this email.  The beginning of these directions did come  from a
website which I included, but my changes are in this, too.

In  case you’re pressed for spirited decorating options like I am, it’s
easy to just  draw or paint on pumpkins instead and perhaps whip up a cute
little hat or two.  This particular witch’s hat is a snap to make, and you
could even use it to  adorn a few bewitching stuffed animals as well!
http://bittersweetblog.wordpress.com/2007/10/24/bewitching-gourds/
Using  an F hook and black worsted weight yarn…
[For  the top cone]
Sc3 sts in a circle
Sc even
Sc2 into each st (6  sts)
Sc even
Sc1, sc2 into next st* around (9 sts)
Sc even
Sc2, sc2  into next st* around (12 sts)
Sc even
Sc3, sc2 into next st* around (15  sts)
Sc even
At  this point I did my own directions...

I checked out how this fit on the top of my pumpkin. I believe I did  do a
few more increase rows
following the increase as set above. sc4, 2 sc  in next and repeat etc.

When It fit on the pumpkin top covering the opening I did  the brim and I
did it as a continuation of the hat. [If you check these  directions out they
want you to make the brim separate and sew it on to the hat  I don't like
the sewing part as I think it doesn't look as good.

So at this point it is strickly memory for what I did,  but...

1. I single crocheted 2 in each one for the  brim.
2. The next row I sc in each one.
3. I *1 sc, 2 sc in next stitch and repeat  around.
4 sc in each stitch.
I don't remember how many of these increase rows and sc  rows I did, but I
kept putting the hat on the pumpkin until I liked the feel and  felt that it
was proportional.

If you think the pointed top of the hat needs to be higher  once you get it
wide enough do more rows of sc to make it taller.