[Nfb-krafters-korner] Beginner's knitting

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Sun Aug 18 15:05:57 UTC 2013

Ramona

I totally agree.  [kis] keep it simple is the way to go when learning  and
teaching beginners.

In a message dated 8/17/2013 8:17:46 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
ramona.walhof at gmail.com writes:

Karen, I  know nothing about Turkish purl, but would be interested.
However,
most people are awkward with purling at first. If you really know the purl
stitch, Let me make a suggestion.   Just choose something simple  and make
yourself do it.  For example: cast on anywhere from 20 to 30  stitches for
scarf.  Then knit five rows, purl one row.   Repeat these six rows to make
the scarf as long as you want it.  I  recommend using worsted weight yarn
and
size 7 or 9 needles while you are  building speed and confidence.  It is
mor
comfortable to ppurl a  whole row than to switch back and forth while you
are
building your  skill.  End with the five knitted rows. Anything from 48 to
60
inches  would be fine.  You will probably need two 3 to 5_ounce skeins.
This  scarf should not roll, but will give you some practice purling
without
bogging down in it, hopefully. You can put fringe on the ends  or not  as
you
choose.  You can use a solid color or verigated yarn. This  scarf will be
fairly heavy and warm, so you may not like it if you live in  the South. If
this length seems overwhelming, just make a pot holder with  the same
design,
only stop when it is square, and you will want at least  30 stitches. You
can
find lots more fancy patterns which are great, but I  like simple for
beginners to build comfort and enjoyment in  knitting.  If others have
better
ideas, I am sure they will say  so.

Ramona