[Nfb-krafters-korner] Help with BARD please

Paulette Vickery paulette at evickery.com
Thu Aug 29 22:51:59 UTC 2013

Hi Joyce,

I use a Victor Reader Stream all of the time. I let my husband use my
player. It has been so long since I registered my Stream that I don't
remember how to do it, but you do need to format the card first. Also, you
need to get something called the Humanware Companion, which can be
downloaded from the Humanware website. That makes downloading books from
BARD a snap, once your Stream is registered with NLS.  All you need to do is
go to bard, find a book that you want and download it by pressing the enter
key on the line that asks if you want to download that book. You have to
first know what folder you want to put your books into on your computer. I
have a folder I call, talking books. I suggest that you call Humanware. They
will walk you through getting the Humanware Companion and formatting your
card. They may even tell you how to get your Stream registered with NLS. Oh,
also, when you download a book, all you have to do to get it onto your
Stream is plug 1 end of a USb cable into the Stream and the other end into
your computer. Turn the Stream on, wait for it to say that it is connected
and then go to your Humanware Companion and to the talking books area. Then
press the spacebar to check the book title you want to download. Then tab
to where it says something about remove or download, and then press enter.
The books will download to your stream and you will know that they are
downloading because you will hear a soft ping every few seconds to let you
know they are still downloading. When you are finished your computer will
say, successfully completed. Remove the cable at both ends and press ALT F4
to get out of the program. Now, all you have to do is listen to your book or
books. They are on the Stream ready to go. Because you used the Humanware
Companion you don't have to unzip or anything. I love it! Here is the phone
number for Humanware.
800-722-3393.

If you want to use your player from NLS, I strongly suggest you purchase a
cartridge from APH, instead of using a thumb drive. I know they hold a lot
of books but they are a real pain. Plus you have to get a little L shaped
thing that you can get from the library in order to  use the thumb drive
with your player. If you use a cartridge, you download the books onto the
cartridge using a cable, unzip them, I don't know why NLS doesn't have a
nice program like the Humanware Companion, but they don't, and then listen
to your books. The cartridge fits snugly into your player and will give you
no trouble. Of course, you can delete the books from the cartridge so that
you can download new ones. I know I haven't answered your questions fully,
but I hope that I have been of some help. Also, I think you had a lazy
librarian. You need to call back and ask your questions again. You might not
get your Victor Reader Stream questions answered, but they should be able to
answer all of your NLS and BARD questions. If you don't want to read the
files, they can walk you through setting up your player. Remember, you are
paying their salary. They are working for you! They have to be reminded of
that from time to time.

Paulette