[Nfb-krafters-korner] crafting essentials to have on hand, relating to beading

Cathy flowersandherbs at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 05:52:27 UTC 2013

Hi Lily,
Yes, I do have three suggestions.
 one is to purchase at least one or more beading needles. These needles will
allow you to thread beads onto cord or string. The beading wire is ridgid so
easy to thread beads onto it, but thread and cord are more flexible and the
beading needle makes it easier to thread the beads on. These needles come in
a couple of different types and I would recommend the type called either a
flexible beading needle or a large eye beading needle. These needles are
very thin and sharp and made of wire and actually consist of two wires
attached together on the ends with a hole in the center. when the needle is
bend on both ends the eye of the needle opens in the center of the needle
and that is where you place your thread or cord. I like to make elastic
bracelets and the needle comes in handy for these especially. I suggested
you get at least one because I am always losing mine. I seem to be
purchasing another one each time I purchase yarn.

You mentioned purchasing wire, what about some cord or elastic? It is nice
to try some different types of stringing materials to see what appeals to
you. I personally like working with elastic for beads that are larger than
the seed beads. . I also have just purchased some beading thread to use with
seed beads. Then I have some beading wire. So when I want to make a project
I grab whichever type of stringing material I want to use.

I don't believe you mentioned closures either? Some kind of clasps for your
jewelry. There are so many different kinds. Some can be opened one-handed
and these you would want if you are planning to make bracelets. Some are
easier to open than others and there are many different types and styles.
What I have done is to buy a few different kinds to experiment with myself,
but honestly I still have not mastered fastening any of them on yet.
However, with my most recent order I purchased some magnetic clasps that
look simple to attach and open and close. Let's just hope they stay closed
because the beads are glass. <smile>
Another kind of clasp I have is called a barrel clasp. It has two
half-rounded pieces that screw together forming a barrel shape and would be
nice for a necklace because it needs two hands to open and close. Another
popular kind is called a lobster clasp. I often see this one mentioned in
jewelry patterns.

Oh and do have fun bead shopping! It is easy to want to buy the store out.
There are so many interesting beads. Have in mind what general size, shape
texture, and colors you want and try to stick to a few so you get beads that
will work together. Also it will help to not overwhelm you or the person
shopping with you. I really overwhelmed a friend who shopped with me the
first time I bought beads because I didn't know much about what I was doing.
<smile> I was afraid she would never bead shop with me again, but she did.

Cathy F