[Nfb-krafters-korner] New Years Eve idea

Henrietta Brewer GARY.BREWER at COMCAST.NET
Sat Dec 14 03:50:47 UTC 2013

A friend of mine from Germanyshowed us a nice tradition for New Years eve. She placed a pretty glass bowl of water on the coffee table. After shelling several walnuts she took the perfect half shells and melted a bit of candle wax in the bottom. She placed a birthday cake type candle in the wax and when their was enough walnut halves for each person to own one, she had us light our candle.

As the evening progressed the candles went out one by one. the owner of the last candle litt was to have the good luck in the coming year.

Hmmm as far as I can remember there was no identifying mark on the little shell boats. I suppose the color of the birthday candle could have been how we knew our own. But for sure, the floating walnut candles was a peaceful spot in a party night.
Henrietta