[Nfb-krafters-korner] Loom knitting - changing colors, gauge sizes

jill jillbilly4 at comcast.net
Sat Dec 14 16:44:48 UTC 2013

Thank you so much for this information!
Jill

-----Original Message-----
From: Nfb-krafters-korner [mailto:nfb-krafters-korner-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Renee Van Hoy
Sent: Saturday, December 14, 2013 12:54 AM
To: .
Subject: [Nfb-krafters-korner] Loom knitting - changing colors, gauge sizes

 Changing colors on a loom is not hard at all.
To change colors to create stripes, the color changes are worked on the same
edge. If the color changes are frequent, like a narrow stripe pattern, the
yarns do not have to be cut between changes, and can instead be carried
along the edge by working the last stitch in the row using both colors.

To change colors within a row, to create a color pattern, you work with
several colors of yarn at the same time. It takes a little planning  ahead
so that you know where all your skeins of yarn are. I tend to keep one on my
right, one on my left, and one in the center so I know which skeins are
where. At the point in the row where the color changes  occur, the two yarns
are twisted together. I do this by bringing the yarn on the left under and
then over the yarn on my right. I always twist the same way, so I never have
to worry about which yarn to use. After the twist, you knit with the next
color. When you come back across the row, you twist again. Every time the
two colors meet, the yarns are twisted at the color change.

Regarding gauge: There is no standardized gauge or naming of gauge among
loom knitting manufacturers. This is a general guideline that works pretty
well, but the best way to know a looms gauge is to measure from the center
of one peg to the center of the next peg. Most loom knitters are beginning
to refer to gauge by measurement instead of name, since the manufacturers do
not use the names consistently.

Extra Large: 7/8 inch. The large pegs in every other hole on the Martha
Stewart set are this size.
Large: 3/4 inch. This is the size of the two largest round rings in the
knifty knitter and similar round looms, and the Knifty Knitter type long
loom sets.
Medium: there are two medium gauges. One is the 5/8 inch, which is found in
the two smallest round rings of Knifty knitter type looms and also in the
Knifty Knitter 48 peg hat loom. CinDwood also makes looms in this gauge.
The second medium gauge is 1/2 inch, and is called half gauge, 1/2 inch
gauge, or sometimes regular gauge. CinDwood makes this gauge, and some of
the new AKB looms are close to this gauge at 7/16 inch.
Small: 3/8 inch gauge. This gauge is found in the small pegs in ever hole on
the Martha Stewart set, and also in the All in one loom from AKB. There are
some new looms coming out of Europe right now as well in this gauge. This is
sometimes called extra small gauge because the old Décor Accents looms used
that term.
Fine: 1/4 inch gauge. This gauge is found in some sock looms and some of the
long double rake looms. Kiss looms also makes fine gauge looms, but they
have their own naming system.
Extra Fine: 5/16 inch gauge. This gauge is found in some sock looms and some