[Nfb-krafters-korner] crazy question, need help.

Susan Roe dogwoodfarm at verizon.net
Sat Dec 21 13:03:54 UTC 2013

Well, the trick to holding that many or more sticks is that once you have
gotten the weaving started, the weaving is what holds the sticks together.

Think of it this way:
You have an odd number of sticks, say 5.  You have already threaded your
warp threads through the holds at the bottom of each stick so you hav a long
loop with a tied tail at the end of each warp.  Your warp threads are 10
inches long.

The other end of your sticks have a point, something like a pencil, but
rounded off.  Lay them flat on a table top with half of their length
sticking out over the edge of the table.  Place something like a phone book
over the stick ends still on the table to hold them in place.

Take your weft thread and tie it loosely to the stick closest to you.  With
the motion of weaving inbetween each stick end go all the way across, turn
and come back again.  With your fingers, slide those threads down your
sticks about an inch or so.  Weave across and back to you again.  Slide
those threads to butt up against the first weft threads.  Keep doing this
and sliding your weft lines down the sticks until you have half the length
of the sticks wrapped.

Now your sticks are securely locked together and you can pick it up and hold
it in your hands as you keep wrapping your sticks.  Keep pushing your weft
down the sticks and then off the sticks and onto the warp threads attached
to your sticks.  When your weft lines are on your warp lines, you have
actually started weaving.  Continue weaving until you have pushed all the
weft lines from your sticks onto the warp string.  You need at least 2
inches or more warp string remaining on either end of your weaving.

Cut two sticks at a time off of their warp and tie them together.  this
forms a braker stop where your warp crosses back and forth.  Do this across
until all of the sticks have been removed.  Tie the bottom ends like the top
ends and your weaving is now locked in place.

This is just a basic how to for the sticks.  You can make them wider, the
sticks different thicknesses and even arrange them so you can weave a tube
for a pouch.  You could do a belt or even straps for other knitted or
crochetted items.

Susan
dogwoodfarm at verizon.net