[Nfb-krafters-korner] How to Make a Knitting Kit

Susan Roe dogwoodfarm at verizon.net
Tue Dec 24 02:33:22 UTC 2013

How to Make a Knitting Kit
By Sarah E. White
A how-to book, some luscious yarn and needles could get a friend started on a new hobby.
There are many potential gifts to give a knitter,
both large and small, but if you want to give something unique, a great gift idea for knitters is to make a knitting kit.

A knitting kit is a gift that contains everything the person needs to make a particular project: the pattern, yarn, needles and any other notions like buttons that might be required. You have to know a knitter pretty well to give them a gift like this, but if you do it right they're sure to appreciate it.

Kits for New Knitters
A knitting kit is a great way to encourage a newer knitter, and I've done this several times for people who I've taught to knit. I print out a copy of my basic Garter Stitch Scarf pattern and give them a ball or two of yarn and the needles they'll need to complete the project.

It's a great gift because it's an easy project that anyone can use and it gives the knitter confidence to have everything they need all together.

If you're giving a gift to encourage someone to learn to knit, you might throw in a good instructional book (or make a fake gift certificate for knitting lessons!), some nice yarn and needles and a simple project for them to work on. This would be great for a younger family member on Christmas and give you something to do together once the presents are unwrapped.

Kits for More Experienced Knitters
If you're shopping for a knitter who has a little more experience, there are many potential minefields. I wouldn't consider making a knitting kit for a knitter if I didn't really know her preferences in terms of the sorts of projects she likes to knit and the colors and fibers she likes to work with.

You wouldn't want to pick out a bunch of beautiful purple wool for a sweater project only to find out the knitter in question prefers blue and is allergic to wool.

But if you know the knitter well, say, you're best buds at knit night and have been to the yarn store together a few times, by all means give your friend a special gift of this sort. Or go the safer route and simply buy your friend a pattern book you think she's sure to love and a gift certificate to your
favorite yarn store. It's a gift that will be appreciated and used, but the recipient can still choose which pattern she'd like to work and pick the color and fiber type for the yarn she wants to use.

Requesting a Knitting Kit
You could also add a knitting kit to your wish list if you have people shopping for you who are willing to visit the yarn shop for you. In this case I'd be pretty specific about exactly what yarn you want and the color you'd like as well as how much of it you need.

Many local and online yarn shops have wish list capabilities so you can just pick what you want and then discreetly mention the list or more bluntly forward the link to your Santa's e-mail. It may not be as magical as having someone pick the project for you, but at least you know you're getting something you really want.