[Nfb-krafters-korner] How are the new knitters doing?

Cathy flowersandherbs at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 05:06:46 UTC 2013

Hi Sunshine,

I am not Annette, but I happen to be online. Didn't retire after all. <grin>
funny what eating some food will do for the blood sugar and the spirit.

Anyhow, a lifeline is a way to enable you to avoid having to rip out all
your work when you drop a stitch or make a boo boo in your pattern. It is
somewhat of a hassle to use, but it can save you time and frustration. I
have never used one, but Annette talked about it in the last class. What you
do is decide where would be a good place to have it, like every ten rows, or
at the beginning of a pattern repeat. Then you take a really thin circular
needle like a 00 and slip it into each stitch on your current needle right
up against the other needle. Then you put needle protectors or rubber bands
on the ends of the 00 needle, your lifeline, and begin to knit the next row.
this is tricky because you have two needles on that first row. I can't
imagine doing  that myself at this point, but Annette assured us that it can
be done. So after that row is done you continue knitting until you have
another ten rows, or have completed another pattern repeat. Then, if you'd
checked and have no mistakes, you move that lifeline up to your current row,
slip it into every stitch next to the original needle and continue.

That's about the lifeline.

Now the cowl, I asked this question awhile back myself and was told it is a
hood. I have never made or seen one myself.

Cathy