[Nfb-krafters-korner] Keeping track of Rows - WAS: Knitting and Ripping

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Sat Feb 2 19:29:30 UTC 2013

Resending with new subject line.

I too use an abacus to keep track of rows, but this is one of many ways that
I accomplish this.  Some other ways include:

An abacus bracelet - This is a bracelet with beads that you slide from end
to end to count your stitches or rows.  You can purchase them from some
craft suppliers.

Pennies or other small objects - If my pattern has 18 rows, I will move 18
pennies from one pocket to another, or from one container to another.  Make
sure you use 2 different containers so that you can remember which one you
are moving the pennies into to represent the number of completed rows.

An App on my iPhone

A paper clip slid down the side of my braille pattern to point to the row I
am currently working on.  There are magnetic row markers that are used in
this same manner.  They are made up of a ribbon with a magnet at each end.
You rap the ribbon around the edge of your paper and allow the magnets to
sandwich the paper between them as they are attracted to each other.  I've
not used this type, only read about them.

Individual pages - I write each row of a pattern on a separate piece of
paper or index card.  Punch a hole in one corner of the page and place the
stack on a metal ring or loop of yarn.  As I complete a row I flip the page
to the back.  I hold the stack together with a paperclip when not knitting
so that I do not lose my place when it is in my bag.

Read the pattern from a device - I place a file of the pattern on a device
such as a computer, bookPort, Victor Stream, iPhone, etc.  There was a time
when I used cassette tapes.  When I complete a row I move the cursor to the
next row.

Stitch markers - Prepare yourself for reading this one, it is crazy.  I put
a solid ring stitch marker at the beginning of my row.  Sometimes I have to
place it after the first stitch so that I do not lose it off of the end of
my needle.  I then attach 2 different type locking stitch markers to that
ring marker.  Now I place as many stitch markers as rows in my pattern on
one of the locking stitch markers.  As I complete a row, I move one marker
to the other locking stitch marker.  If my pattern has a lot of rows with
the pattern rows only on the odd number or only on the even number, then I
only place enough ring markers on the locking marker to keep track of the
actual pattern rows.

A tip to keep in mind when using any type of system to keep track of your
rows is whether you are keeping track of which row you are about to work,
which row you are working, or which row you have completed.

As it has been said many times before on this list, figure out what works
for you and use it.  I encourage you to not get locked into using just one
technique.  Different situations call for different solutions.

HTH,
Annette