[Nfb-krafters-korner] double basket weave

Deidre Muccio deimucc at verizon.net
Sun Feb 3 16:15:56 UTC 2013

Linda
Who can I order the pattern from or where can I go to look at it? I'm
curious about it. What weight yarn do you like to use for these scarves?
I've been seeing a lot of stretchy gauzy frilly scarves and shawls in shops
lately. Some are made of viscose and one was a cotton rayon mix, very nice.
In my hands, they would be snagged in no time at all.
	Today I looked at a hand twined woven rug made with strips of an old
Chaneile bedspread and some other fiber. It was tight and about to be cut
off the frame. Then I looked at something on a loom that was made with a
soft Chaneile thread or yarn and wow what a lot of work but very very soft.
If I were a hermit, making these things round the clock would be a great
occupation for me! My neighbor is 76, and once the weather warms up, all
that time will go into gardening, not weaving and knitting.
	About a year ago when I first saw some of this neighbor's rugs, I
was astounded by the quality of the work, I asked her if they were just
piling up, and indeed they are. She doesn't sell much and doesn't use a
computer to display or advertise them. A friend did put up a facebook page
for her with some pictures but she never does anything with it. I gently
suggested she put me in her will, and she said "ok." I wonder if she
remembers. Think I should remind her? Actually for all I know, she will long
out live me! As it stands now, she is very excited I am carrying through
with all this. I go up in the mornings and have her inspect my work.
	I hand it to you all who are enthralled with these kinds of
endeavors.
	In case anyone is interested, Web's has a great radio show that airs
on WHMP FM at 7 AM Sunday mornings. They have guest persons they interview,
usually people who write pattern books or distribute yarns. The owners, a
husband wife team, do the show. You can listen to podcasts of the show if
you go to their web site and look for them. Long before I even thought about
knitting, I loved listening to the show.

	Deidre