[Nfb-krafters-korner] the pile up

Deidre Muccio deimucc at verizon.net
Sat Feb 9 18:56:58 UTC 2013

Barb,
Since you asked, 		I'm in western Ma and luckily we did not
lose power, though the internet went out around 8 last night. It's unusually
quiet out there today, since the amount of snow we got is pretty
unmanageable, and the driving ban has not yet been lifted, or at least I
don't think it has been.
	this         morning, roughly 7:30 AM, I opened my front door and
there was a huge pile up of snow between the hedges. Initially I didn’t
think I’d be able to make a dent in it, thick and slippery, and up to my
knees. 1 ½ hours later, I had it shoveled down to the ground. Luckily I
found places to put it.
	I created a little corridor from my front door, down a few porch
steps, and out to the high ridge of snow at the curb. In front of the hedges
paralleling the street are 6 foot high piles up against the hedges.
Basically we are snowed in unless I want to climb over the ridge at the curb
and go into the road, a fairly busy road at that, just not today. Tomorrow
it will be unsafe when traffic is back in full swing.
	I asked my dog to do her business right there on that front walkway
before it was completely cleared, and almost immediately she ran back and
forth and I felt her back end lower. She took care of all her business, and,
wow, was I pleased. I thought she might have an issue with being right there
at the front of the house on the walkway, but I’m sure she understood the
situation perfectly. Plus, I had not yet fed her, a deliberate strategy,
because when that is the case, she doesn’t waste any time outside, unless
our path is clear and she wants to play!
	I really don't know what our lives will be like in the next days
since there is a wall of snow on the sidewalk out front. I suppose she'll be
doing jumps in the house and be playing find games - I'll be rug hooking and
knitting when not entertaining her. There is a hard packed mound of snow
straight out at the curb, so she can run up there, sniff around and have a
great look around.

	Deidre