[Nfb-krafters-korner] Simple Shrug: was Sewing two pieces together

Lisamaria Martinez lmartinez217 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 17:41:35 UTC 2013

Susan and Cindy and others,

All of your descriptions have been so helpful. I took a throw laying
on the couch the other day and had my hubby hold the edges as if they
were seamed and I donned the throw. With all of the descriptions and
actually pretending to put the shrug on helped immensely and the light
has snapped on in my head. I get it!

To Susan, the pattern calls for an N hook so that the piece can
stretch and fit all sizes. I have not been able to crochet with
anything smaller than a J so I can tell you that when I make blankets
or scarves using an N, P and even a speed hook, the project works up
faster and with a more holy or lacey look to it. I made a triangular
shawl using Homespun Painted Desert and an N hook. It looked quite
lovely. The pattern called for 2 scanes and I used 3 only because I
repeated the pattern once more. The shawl went for $45 at our NFB of
California State convention banquet auction.

Before I return to the simple shrug pattern, I want to say that I hope
to make another triangular shawl using Homespun Thick and Quick and a
Q/speed hook.

Okay, simple shrug ... I haven't actually started the project. I
usually browse through patterns and decide what is feasible or dream
up a project based on multiple patterns. I got so excited about the
ease of this project I decided to make them as presents so I just went
onto the site last night and purchased Pearls, cream, Tulips and
Montana Skies for colors. I'm praying the project works up to 4 balls
and no more! I usually go to Jo-ann's and buy my yarn but this weekend
is too buisy with multiple birthday celebrations, and since standard
shipping is free, and the yarn was 15% off on the site, I ordered it.
Hopefully, it will come by the beginning of next week and I can start.
I'm hoping one of these shrugs will make it into my closet. I have
never made myself anything yet.

Susan, you'll have to keep me posted on your progress.

LM