[Nfb-krafters-korner] cotton blend yarns

Deidre Muccio deimucc at verizon.net
Tue Feb 19 18:59:09 UTC 2013

Ok you experience fiber artists and knitters, here is a question for 	you.
	Why does cotton knit up with bigger loops or holes on a size 5
needle than an acrylic yarn I am knitting on size 7 needles? The cotton yarn
has a good twist to it and feels thicker. Is it that the acrylic sticks more
to itself once knit?
	I'd like to knit with a cotton that knits tight like many sweaters
I've worn in the past. What would I need to get that kind of tight knitted
quality? Some kind of blend? So far I have never seen a cotton yarn that
isn't much thicker than a light string. Does it exist? I looked at something
called bulky cotton yarn and there was even a knitted scarf there to show
how it knit up. It was scratchy which is not at all how I think of cotton.
it was expensive and nothing I was attracted to. I've seen blends I liked
but I think they likely are too fine for me to work with at this stage.

	Deidre