[Nfb-krafters-korner] Amazon book

Becky Frankeberger b.butterfly at comcast.net
Tue Feb 26 18:20:38 UTC 2013

Has crafting ever brought you out of a tough time? Often, the meditative and
creative

aspects of yarn crafts can be just what the doctor ordered when it comes to
coping

with grief, depression, or that funk you just haven't been able to emerge
from. Though

knitting and crochet are often looked at as lighthearted, serene crafts, the
emergence

of many crafting social groups over the last several years speaks to the
release

of both the craft and the social component that frequently comes along with
it. A

new book highlights the healing that can come from crochet.

Crochet Saved My Life

chronicles the journey of a college freshman coping with the usual
suspects-new

school, new state, new friends-as well as the far less familiar, including
the surprise

diagnosis of an inoperable brain tumor. Author Kathryn Vercillo describes
how she

found release from her anxiety and stress in the therapeutic nature of each
repetitive

stitch.

More than telling her own story, which includes the profound motion of
dropping a

knife from her wrist and picking up yarn instead, Vercillo also shares the
stories

of other men and women who have found solace in crochet and knitting, as
well as

the effects these crafts have on those with various mental and physical
conditions,

including anxiety, depression, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Post-Traumatic
Stress

Disorder, schizophrenia and multiple sclerosis.

To learn more about the book,

click here

.

So many of us have found comfort in the stitches of knitting and crochet.
Have these

yarn crafts gotten you through difficult times in your life?

Amazon book:

Crochet Saved My Life

The Mental and Physical Health Benefits of Crochet

Authored by Kathryn Vercillo

Photographs by Julie Michelle

Crochet saves lives. It saved mine.

In the worst throes of depression I found myself sobbing on the bathroom
floor, the

tip of a kitchen knife pointed into my wrist. I was aching to break the
flesh and

bring the pain to an end. Through sheer force of will, I pried my own
desperate hands

open and replaced the knife with a crochet hook. Then I crocheted to save my
life.

In this book, you will get to know me through my story of depression and
healing.

And you will get to know other women as well. You will meet Aurore who
crochets to

stay in touch with reality as she deals with ongoing psychiatric
hallucinations.

You will meet Laurie who made a new life with crochet after years of a life
filled

with abuse. You will meet Tammy whose crochet helps her with the ups and
downs of

living with Chronic Lyme Disease. You will meet Liza who crochets through
the anxiety

of having temporary bouts of blindness caused by an undiagnosed health
condition.

Here are some of the things you will hear them say:

"When I crochet I don't think about how my body is now broken; I think about
how

I can create something beautiful and useful with my hook and either yarn or
thread."

-Vicki

"When I'm anxious, I feel like a hollow hull. Crocheting helps fill up the
void."

- Aurore

"I couldn't pay for therapy, but a few balls of crochet thread cost less
than $20

and provided me with many hours of crochet." - M.K.

"The feeling of the yarn and the rhythmic motions produced by crocheting are
very

quieting and help me regroup, recharge and become reconnected to my inner
self amidst

turmoil and confusion." - Aimee

"Crochet helps me put my pain on the back burner for a while. It takes my
focus away

from how I'm feeling and puts it in a more productive place". - Shelli

The two dozen women whose stories are shared in this book are the women who
hook

to heal. We are not alone. Studies shows that crocheters are numerous;
research and

anecdotal evidence show that people of all ages, from all walks of life,
with all

types of health conditions may find healing through their hooks and yarn.
Join us

on our journey.

Publication Date:

Jul 01 2012