[Nfb-krafters-korner] learning to knit

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Sun Jan 6 23:38:46 UTC 2013

Deidre,

I am so glad that you are not giving up.  Ripping out and starting over is
part of knitting.  My family says that if I had fabric from all of the
stitches I've knitted I could have made enough material to make hats and
scarves for the entire country.

In the beginning you are going to drop stitches.  It is just a fact of life.
Even after knitting for a long time you will drop stitches.  I would agree
that most likely your stitches are too tight.  This is a common problem for
beginners.  It can be a problem for experienced knitters when we are not
paying attention to what we are doing because we are listening to a good
book, or we are tense from a stressful day and the tension is traveling down
to our needles.

Tips:
Take your time.
Frequently take note of the tension of the yarn woven through your fingers
on your left hand and loosen it up.
After knitting a few stitches, push the stitches back from the points of
your needles and lay the work down on the table.  Check out the stitches on
your right needle.  If they feel tight and do not slide easily on your
needle, loosen the stitches up.  Do this by pulling a little on the stitch
closest to the point of the right needle.  Do not make it too big.  Then
move to the stitch next to it and give it a little tug to take up some of
the slack from the first stitch.  Now tug on the next stitch and loosen it a
bit.  Double check to see if stitch 1 and 2 need loosening again.  Now go
back to knitting and make 3 more stitches.  Repeat this process if needed .
You will not have to do this loosening stuff for ever.

If continental does not work for you, then go back to the other way.  There
is no one right way to knit.  Find what works for you and be consistent in
using it.

Keep me posted on how you are doing.

Annette