[Nfb-krafters-korner] learning to knit

slerythema slerythema at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 00:18:22 UTC 2013

Deidre,

Good news, you are a beginner and you are doing typical beginner things!
Now, take a breath and hold it . . . now, let it out. You can do this.
First, don't try to think that you are making anything and that it has to be
perfect, simply make a square/rectangle that you can undo (or put in a
drawer) and just practice the motions. If you drop a stitch, that's okay,
keep going for a few more rows before you decide to either start over or cut
the yarn and put that one aside. Second, you will either remain a tight
knitter and learn how that effects your work or learn to loosen it up.

The reason blind knitters like to use a version of Continental instead of
English is because you keep your hands on your work and you do not have to
worry about what is happening when you are picking up and wrapping that
yarn.

You are supposed to have your stitches close to the tip of the needle when
you are working them. At some point, you'll be able to pick any dropped
stitches back up and go right on knitting. Because it can get frustrating
when you are just learning, try practicing for ten minutes three times a
day. This will help keep your stress level down but allow you to get in the
practice that you need.

Also, I think you are the one that order Zephyr needles from Knit Picks. You
might want to try a pair of metal needles since you are working tight. Just
buy a cheap pair from Walmart or a hobby store to try them out. Now, with
metal needles the yarn can slip off easier but it also allows your tight
stitches to move easier. Your cheap metal needles will not have as fine a
point as Knit Picks nickel needles, but just give them a try to see if it
helps.

I have remained a tight knitter so I love my Knit Picks nickel needles with
their fine tapered point. Even though I am a tight knitter, I have learned
the proper tension that allows my stitches to move appropriately. While
Continental gives beginners a tighter tension, it does help you maintain
tension through out your whole project since you are not letting go of the
yarn all the time.

Just remember you are a beginner, however, you are off to a good start since
you actually know when you make a mistake. Most beginners do not realize
their mistakes when they are just starting. Plus, you have a whole list of
blind crafters just waiting to offer tips and cheer you on!

Cindy S.