[Nfb-krafters-korner] for plastic canvas folks

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Tue Jun 4 00:37:56 UTC 2013

I did some researching on the net so folks can get more information on
plastic canvas.  First plastic canvas is a form of needle point.  Many  of the
needle point stitches can be used to create interesting textures and
designs.

Here is a book that sounded good as it not only has diagrams of the
stitches, but it has the verbal descriptions, too.

A-Z of Needlepoint by Country Bumpkin  is not the most comprehensive
needlepoint book in terms of the number of  stitches it covers, but it is an
excellent guide to approximately 65 different  stitches, including many common
stitches. Where this book excels, as with all  the other A-Z stitch books by
this publisher, is in the clear, step-by-step  photographs with written
directions that illustrate how to execute all steps of  a stitch, rather than
assume a single diagram is enough. For me, a litmus test  of how clearly a book
explains how to do a stitch is the explanation of the  turkey work stitch
(in this book called "Rya Stitch", although it is  cross-referenced in the
index under the name Turkey Work). This book has an  excellent illustration of
this as well as many other popular stitches. Designed  to lie open flat
during use, we highly recommend this book.
A-Z of Needlepoint (2005, 128 pages, wirebound paperback)  $35.00

There are other resources such as: American  Needlepoint Guild

Terry has taught barjello plastic canvas in the past  here.  This is a
description of what type of work Terry does on her  coasters, tissue boxes, etc.

Bargello is a type of _needlepoint_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Needlepoint)  _embroidery_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embroidery)   consisting of
upright flat stitches laid in a mathematical pattern to create  motifs. The
name originates from a series of chairs found in the _Bargello palace_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bargello_palace)  in _Florence_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence) , which  have a "flame stitch" pattern.
Traditionally, Bargello was stitched in wool on canvas. Embroidery done
this  way is remarkably durable. It is well suited for use on pillows,
upholstery and  even carpets, but not for clothing. In most traditional pieces, all
stitches are  vertical with stitches going over two or more threads.
Barjello takes counting to establish the first few rows to create the
design.
I use to do Barjello way back when I had my yarn shop, as I felt the plain
type of needle point was boring.  There are needle point canvases that have
 the color design already done and all you need to do is the background.
Depending on if you want to make a chair cover or just a picture there are 2
 basic types of stitches that are used.
1.  half-cross stitch,  is usually is used if you are doing a  picture to
fill in the background.  It uses less yarn and makes a lighter  weight
finished items.
2.  Continental stitch : This stitch covers the front and back of  the
canvas equally well and is used for chairs and foot stools, piano  benches.  It
does take more yarn to do this, but it is a sturdy  stitch.  It does distort
the canvas a bit and you need to dampen it and  stretch it out and let it
dry to finish it.
Continental stitch

_Needlepoint basket weave stitch_
(http://www.needlepoint-for-fun.com/basketweave-stitch.htm)  is the 'Holy Grail' of basic  needlepoint stitches. It
allows good coverage of the canvas with the least  distortion.
You should use needlepoint basket weave stitch whenever there is  a
larg(ish) area to be stitched. It is named for the basket weave pattern it  forms
on the "wrong" side of the canvas. Work this stitch diagonally, starting  at
the top right hand corner of the area.

Then there are a lot more design stitches and patterns that you  can do on
plastic canvas beside Barjello.