[Nfb-krafters-korner] crochet question, changing to baby blanket talk

Lisamaria Martinez lmartinez217 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 18:01:43 UTC 2013

Cathy,

In the last year, I've made a billion baby blankets. Okay, maybe not a
billion but over 6. I played around with several patterns of my own.
The easiest and quickest blanket to make for a little baby is simply a
single crochet blanket all the way through.

I love to use Bernat baby blanket yarn. It is chunky and so, so, so
incredibly soft. With a Q or S hook you can make a blanket super fast.
I think I'm a relatively slow crocheter and I can work up a blanket in
less than a week. If you are at convention this year, you can check
out some of my blankets.

I've done a variety of patterns that include a section of about 10 SC
rows folowed by 2 rows of DC and repeated through until the blanket is
my desired length and I end on a section of SC. The last 2 blankets I
made were a solid color for the entire blanket. I chose this yummy
looking yellow for one blanket and a blue for the second blanket. When
the blanket was as long as I wanted it to be, I took this very pretty
yarn that is a mix of pink, blue, yellow and white. Combined with the
body of the blanket it looks like trimming around a sheet cake so I
call it birthday cake frosting yarn. I have been doing about 2 rows of
SC as a border and then a slip stich to make the very, very edge a
little thicker.

Hope some of these ideas work out for you in future projects.

If anyone reading this has any ideas for borders or how to make cooler
looking edges with something other than a single crochet stitch, I'd
love to learn.

Thanks,
LM