[Nfb-krafters-korner] my name is Dana

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Sun Jun 9 19:05:59 UTC 2013

Hi Dana        I want to welcome  you and let you know that I totally do
not have any sight[no light perception]  and I have madeCANDLES, ROOM SPRAYS,
BODY SPRAYS, soaps, flavored lip  gloss.  I made it and sold it as a
business for several years.  I have  also taught here how to do the soaps.  The
only sighted help that I did  need was:  I had gotten long cotter pins from one
of my candle wax  suppliers and my sighted husband would with masking tape
slip the wick into the  cotter pin and tape it in the center of the jar.
Before he  taped it I would take a glob of wax and work it with my fingers
to soften it up  and then stick the wick into it and stick it in the bottom
of the jar estimating  the center.  He would do bthe taping and straighten it
up taping it at the  top of the jar so when I poured it the wick was
centered.  I poured wax in  all types of pottery, sugar bowls, creamers coffee
cups, tea pots, etc,.   So after the candle was finished they had items [glass
or pottery] left.   I  would do parties and craft shows[I did have a friend
that was sighted  going to the parties and craft shows with me to handle the
sales.

I had great fun doing this and it was the first craft business I got into
after  I went blind 16 years ago.  There were some tools I used to do  this,
but it can be done by the blind.  I did get a talking food scale that  I
paid like $100 and that was the only 1 expensive thing that I did get.  I  had
gotten a cheaper one to start off with, but I upgraded and would suggest if
 you are serious enough go for the better one.  The cheaper one did not
last  me a year and then it stopped working.

In a message dated 6/9/2013 2:40:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,