[Nfb-krafters-korner] Diagnosis please

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Fri Mar 1 19:29:36 UTC 2013

Wow physical thereapy too!!!

Many thanks to all of you.

In a message dated 3/1/2013 2:26:35 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
lyewchan at telus.net writes:

I have  found this somewhere and hope it helps.
Sorry I do not know its  sorce.
Here are some exercises from the makers of Handeze Gloves. I do  these and
they're really helpful.
Hand Massage: With  the thumb of the left hand, massage the palm of the
right hand. At the same  time, wrap the fingers of the left hand round the
outside of the right hand  and massage. Massage for one minute. Repeat with
opposite hand.

Clench and Fan: Clench your hand into a tight  fist and hold for five
seconds. Release smoothly, extending the thumb and  fingers into a fully
stretched position and hold for five seconds. Repeat five  times for each hand.
Thumb Stretch: With the left hand, gently  pull the thumb of the right hand
away from the thumb and down toward the  forearm. Hold for five seconds.
You should feel the stretch in the base of the  thumb, palm side. Repeat for
the left thumb. Five repetitions, alternate  thumbs.

Wrist Stretch: Hold the right hand in front of the  body, palm facing out,
fingertips up, fingers together. With the left hand,  grasp the right hand's
outstretched fingers and gently pull the fingers back  toward the body.
Hold for five seconds. You should feel the stretch in the  wrist area. Repeat
for the left wrist. Five repetitions, alternative  wrists.
Wrist Circles: With hands in front of the body and  elbows held at a
comfortable angle, gently rotate the wrists. Five repetitions  in each direction.
Good work! Now you're ready to knit in comfort!

Knit healthfully!
I've also heard that you can put a pillow  under the arm that is hurting
you to help.
Take breaks.
Also glucosamine  can help too.
Lovette

On 2013-03-01, at 10:29 AM, Barb Roland  wrote:

> I have the same problem Joyce, but no diagnosis yet either,  keep
forgetting to ask the Dr. about it, but yes most likely from the  knitting, when
you do things repetitively it eventually causes problems like  this, could be
carpal tunnel syndrome, but I think that affects the last two  finger, could
be a pinched nerve or could just be tendonitis.
> I also  get pains in my elbow on that arm.
> What you can try....some type of  comfort gloves (I found some at hobby
lobby), that can provide some support  for you wrist.and hands. taking
frequent breaks, and some gentle stretching  exercises, like flexing and extension
of your wrist, roll them around in  circles periodically.
> See how that works for you, I just got the  comfort gloves, so they are
still in the "try it" phase.

>  Barb
> ----- Original Message ----- From:  <Blindhands at aol.com>

http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfb-krafters-korner_nfbnet.org/barbwire59%40gmail.com