[Nfb-krafters-korner] trouble shooting

Becky Frankeberger b.butterfly at comcast.net
Tue Mar 5 18:39:50 UTC 2013

Nice job all who replied.  I really wanted a conversation of ideas to be
determined fixing  mistakes, but it only lasted a day. Nice job determined
costume lady, warm hugs.

Here is the story, which I shared with my teacher Morgan Hicks.  His
comments back to me were incredible.

So I received an order for an afghan.  I touched the yarn and thought about
the project for a couple of days.  I wanted a really special design.  So I
sat down with the design in mind and then chose a couple of crochet hooks to
try as I have not worked with five ply yarn at all.  It came down to two
needles an N and a P.  I crocheted a swatch with both and chose hands down
the P as I wanted a more open design. I had them both on my desk and picked
up the wrong needle and made my base chain and first row.  I measured the
peace and it was just about the right sized.  Oddly I had a very long tail
which I tucked under my stitches and did not cut off. Called away from my
project, when I came back I picked up the correct needle and was delighted
with the results.  I measured again after four rows and thought odd the
piece fanned out a bit.  I felt that base row and couldn't get my mind to
work why it seemed tight.  So off I went excited putting skein after skein
on my afghan.  Oh it was incredible.  I knew my customer would be delighted.
But darn time to pay attention as to why that base chain was so tight.
Realizing I screwed up what were my choices: tear out twenty skeins, yes I
was that brain dead to my problem, or figure out a way to fix that chain.

Cro-hook class, another use for your Cro-hook.  I took the stitches off the
chain and loaded them onto my Cro-hook. Then unwind the chain. Did a
Tunisian Simple Stitch, and the afghan is glorious. Glad though I had a long
tail just in case.  I honestly thought I would use all that tail, but didn't
need all but an inch or three, smile.

Lesson, please pay real attention to that base row. Put the needle you are
not using for the project away.

Becky and the old fashion picture frame afghan