[Nfb-krafters-korner] seed beads, wire, thread, more info

Cathy flowersandherbs at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 20:46:58 UTC 2013

Hello all,

I have been delving into the world of seed beads, wire, thread, and jewelry
findings.

I have found it rather complex. The more I learn the more questions I seem
to ask. So I am continuing to research.

However, I have learned a couple of things worth mentioning so far.

First about thread and wire.

One can use either thread or wire with seed beads. The choice as to what to
use depends on what you are going to make. For simply stringing beads either
thread or wire can be used. If working on a stitch pattern such as a peyote
stitch then thread is best. If one is planning to use crimp beads, as is the
case for LM's bracelet class coming up in January, then beading wire is
best.

Now to unravel the mystery of beading wire. There are two primary brands:
Soft Flex or Beadalon.

They come in various widths with the higher the number the thinner the wire.
The .014 beading wire is 27 gauge wire, while the .019 wire     is 25 gauge
and the .024 wire is 23 gauge.

As for the beading thread, some brands include Nymo and Superlon which are
nylon thread,

Silamide is a 2-ply, twisted, waxed nylon thread

Power Pro is a strong, flexible braided beading thread.

and FireLine, a braided beading thread made of gel-spun polyethylene, and
Power Pro a braided beading thread. Some of these threads have letters to
identify the thickness while others use a pound weight. I haven't researched
the exact widths of each of these but I have read that size D thread and
size 6lb thread can work with any beads with most seed beads for stringing.

So what have I learned about seed beads?  I have learned that seed beads are
made of glass, not seeds. <Duh> Japanese seed beads are the best quality of
seed beads you can buy and there are a few good brands, which I believe
Laurie has mentioned in a previous post. As for sizing, the smaller the
number, the larger the bead. for example: size 2 beads are 5mm, size 6 beads
are 4mm, size 8 beads are 3mm, and size 11 beads are 2mm.

Those are for the round beads, it is different for other shaped beads like
cubes and bugles.

So that is all for now.

Cathy F