[Nfb-krafters-korner] Edie Eckmen Workshops

Cathy flowersandherbs at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 01:43:28 UTC 2013

Hi Annette,

I am glad to hear that you are willing to try taking a class in your
community. It does have its challenges, for there is usually the need to
introduce the instructor to a blind person for perhaps the first time as
well as describing to the instructor the things that will most help you.

I learned to crochet from a class offered in my community and I suspected
that I would face these challenges I mentioned so I came a bit early to the
class the first night and introduced myself to the instructor and asked her
straight away if she'd ever met or taught a blind person. She had done
neither and expressed her uncertainty that she would be able to help me.
This gave me the opportunity to reassure her and explain to her how she
might best assist me. She felt reassured and when class began she treated me
just like the other students and watched me crochet and helped me in the
various ways I'd described, such as watching me crochet and stopping me when
I began to do a step wrong and then describing what I should do from that
point. I was quickly able to crochet along with the rest of the class and
began to create my first granny square that night. So, my advice is to be
proactive and encouraging to the instructor and chances are you can get her
to give you the help you need to succeed in the class.

Happy attaching crocheted squares. Reminds me, I've got to get to attaching
my crocheted squares to make that felted bag, I've got them on hold for the
moment. I am more interested in making the shawl I plan to teach next month.
The loom knit shawl is coming along nicely.

Cathy