[Nfb-krafters-korner] Excited About Quilting

Catherine Miller guillcat at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 23:52:15 UTC 2014

Sorry I haven't had a chance to send this earlier.  For anyone who wasn't on the chat about quilting, you missed a good one.  Thank you, Joyce, for planning and leading a wonderful and informative discussion.  I have wanted to quilt for 15 years.  My sister-in-law spent an afternoon showing me how, and she ended up doing it all herself, as I didn't have the self confidence to help her.  Sing giving a way and selling my sewing machines, I did not believe I'd ever be able to quilt.

But thanks to our chat, I am encouraged.  I actually went out and bought the supplies for a log cabin quilt, including a needle threader, needles, a "jelly roll," and something called tiger tape which I hope will help me to sew a straight line.  I intend to hand stitch each and every seam.  If anyone has ideas about how to do this, feel free to share your ideas.  I suppose I should at least wait until the class is posted.

For anyone who plans to purchase a jelly roll, I will share some advice given to me by the sweet ladies who work in my local quilting shop.  When you open the jelly roll package, have available one of those lint rollers.  Because of the way the fabric was cut, you'll have lots of lint fly up in your face and your nose unless you run the lint roller across the cut edge of the fabric before undoing the roll.  I haven't opened up my stuff yet; haven't had time and am trying to wait for the class lest I ruin anything because of my excitement.  The colors I bought are a set called "pastel rainbow."  The lady said you use a jelly roll to make a square panel, and make more square panels and join them together.  If I enjoy the hand sewing, I may spend years making panels.

Again, thank you Joyce for the courage you have shown us.  I look forward to more of the same.  It's been so long since I've felt like a kid with a new toy.

Cathy Miller

Sent from my iPad