[Nfb-krafters-korner] question about the knit stitch on the. loom

Powers, Terry (NIH/NCI) [E] Terry.Powers at nih.gov
Tue Aug 26 13:32:30 UTC 2014

Hi Portia;

First of all, to make your e-wraps go faster, e-wrap all pegs, peg 1-x and then knit off pegs x through 1.  This prevents the stop and start with each peg and when going backwards to knit off, your stitches are locked in, so if necessary, you can pause if you want.

Ribbed brim.
To make ribbing, use e-wrap, purl, all the way around the loom.  For a baby hat you should only need about 5 or 6 rows.  When making a ribbed hat, it is not usually turned up.
After these rows, continue with the body of your hat.

U wrap;
 You are taking your working yarn and making a letter U above the existing stich.  Hold the working yarn, in place and bring the existing loop over the peg.  These stitches have to be done, one at a time.

Flat knit;

Lay your working yarn, flat across the peg, above the existing loop, hold it in place and lift, existing loop, over the peg.

The true knit stitch, I think it is called;
It is just the opposite of the purl.  Take your working yarn and bring it down, through the existing stitch, instead of up, like in the purl, creating a new loop.  Then lift original loop off and replace with new loop.

There are still more stitches out there, used for turning and making short rows, that I can think of.

Hope this helps.

Terry Powers