[Nfb-krafters-korner] question for crocheters

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 23 13:15:42 UTC 2014

When crocheting and trying to visualize the effect of using the 2 loops, the
front loop or the back loop, let's see if this scenario helps.

If you were building a wall with bricks or the toy blocks called Legos and
you stack the bricks or blocks directly on top of the one below it in the
previous row or layer, this is like crocheting through the 2 horizontal
loops at the top of the stitch in the previous row.  If you were to slide
that top brick so that half of it is hanging off of the edge towards you,
this is like crocheting in the front loop of the stitch from the previous
row.  If you are a Lego fan, you would only be using the 1 row of pegs
closest to you from the previous layer of blocks.  Because in crochet you
turn your work at the end of the row, when you crochet back in the other
direction and work in the front loop of the previous rows stitches you are
making this row line up with the row 2 layers down.  So back to our bricks.
In order to represent our crocheting, you will have to move to the other
side of the wall that we are building.  As you lay this next layer of
bricks/Legos, you will hang them over the front edge of the brick/Lego below
it.  This new brick/Lego is hanging off of the one below it and is lined up
with the one from 2 layers down.  The brick/Lego from the previous layer
looks like it has been pushed out the back.  If on each row of your
crocheted fabric you continue working in the front stitch of the stitch in
the previous row, you will get a ribbed effect.

HTH,
Annette