[Nfb-krafters-korner] teachers Xmas in August

Ramona Walhof ramona.walhof at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 03:45:35 UTC 2014

Joyce, I haven't completed a formal proposal, because I thought we were
going to do the pieced pillow case as a Monday night chat.  I am not sure
whether it is supposed to be August 11 or August 18.  I would like to say a
little about it on the list if that is really what's going to happen.  We
can just talk about concepts, and everybody will not need to buy materials
ahead of time.  I bought four Christmas prints and figure to get four
pillows out of them.  I will stuff the pillows, and they will be smaller
than my original proposal, thus, requiring less fabric.  I don't know how
many people will be interested who don't already know how to do this and lay
it out.

Please let me know if you want to do this some other way.  I can make it
into a more formal class if you prefer and if there is interest.  I know
some people think they want to do some of this by hand, but it will be much
stronger done on the machine.  When we had the last chat about hand sewing,
we talked about buttons and hemming.  We only had three people, so I don't
know how much interest there is in a bigger project.

 Perhaps we should talk about purchasing fabric before how to assemble the
pillow.  I don't think we have done much of that.  I propose to talk about
how to assemble the pieces, but not how to cut them, because that has
already been discussed.  Depending on who is there, we can talk about
pressing seams open or to one  side and whether to top stitch some of them.
and closing the last side if someone wants to stuff the pillow.  That kind
of thing can be flexible hbased on who is there.

 I bought four Christmas prints in cotton, pieces one yard by 42 inches each
usable fabric, so I have enough for four pillows, and the fabric cost less
than thirty dollars.  I spent a good half hour getting my helper to show me
the size of the prints and deciding which one to buy.  There may be interest
in that sort of thing. Obviously, the pillows or pillow cases can vary in
size, and so can the squares.  But the techniques remain the same.

Ramona