[Nfb-krafters-korner] Braille cards

Lisamaria Martinez lmartinez217 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 18:16:43 UTC 2014

Hi Terry P. and Others,

the braille card meeting is a subcommittee of the fundraising
committee which is a committee of the board. Often times, committees
meet to hash out details and work on solutions that are then brought
to the attention of the membership without involving the entire
membership.

Most meetings are public--unless stated as a closed meeting. However,
according to Roberts Rules, the public would not be able to contribute
to a public committee meeting unless there was a public comments
section of the meeting--and even then, you would be limited in the
amount of time to speak. We don't seem to follow Robert's Rules which
is perfectly legitimate. we don't have to. I simply offer up the
example of meetings that utilize Robert's Rules as an example of how
many committees, boards and commissions do not allow the public a
voice unless it is specifically on the agenda to do so. The public has
a right to put items on the agenda to be discussed, but once a meeting
is in motion, you can't add topics without amendments being made and
voted on. This is not an attempt to exclude the public, but simply a
way to keep decorum.

It was never anyone's intention to exclude the membership. In fact,
I'm sure after the committee hashes out a few more details, we will
give a full report to the membership.

Nothing is being handled incorrectly. And, I'm sure if anyone wanted a
copy of the minutes taken, then those minutes could be provided upon
request.

I think it is safe to say that I am speaking for everyone on the
committee call when I say that we are extremely grateful for
everyone's time and commitment to the braille card project. Everyone
donated their own time, talent and money to this project in order to
see if it is a viable option for the future. So thank you and please
understand that only a few folks who were involved with the main
development of the project were part of the call. There was no
malicious attempt to leave out anyone.

Lisamaria

On 7/24/14, Powers, Terry (NIH/NCI) [E] via Nfb-krafters-korner