[Nfb-krafters-korner] Tips for using rotary cutters

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Thu Mar 6 21:19:08 UTC 2014

You have to use a cutting mat when using the rotary cutter.  Be sure  you
do get one with the retractable button.

They have a grid that is about 22 by 18 inches give or take and it has 2
inches on each side and then every half inch it has a grid type piece for
cutting.  The rotary cutter blade fits into this groove between the 2  pieces
of thick plastic and you fold the fabric in half or more so it fits into
the width of the guide grooves and match up edges to edges of cutting board
and  you can cut strips of fabric the width that you want.  For quilting
purposes you need to take your time to line everything up and hold down on this
cutting grid to cut accurate  strips.

If I was going to cut fleece I would use my dress maker scissors and not
the rotary cutter.  It is a bit thick and if you needed to cut strips you
can do that with a good pair of scissors.Start at the fold of the fabric and
make sure your edges are even and example: to make a 3 inch strip
Measure 3 inche to your edge.  Now fold what you just cut down  matching
the edges and using what you just cut as your guide and cut just the  length
that is folded.  Refold this strip, matching edges and using the  edge that
you just cut as your guide and cut it again.  The guide will  become longer
and when you reach the selvage edges you will have a 3 inche wide  strip the
length of your fabric width.  So if the fleece is 60 inches wide,  you will
have a strip 3 invches by 60 inches.s from the edge and cut at the fold  a
few inches down parallel

In a message dated 3/6/2014 12:58:03 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,