[Nfb-krafters-korner] Windows 8 help please

Dixie cobaltblueheron at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 14:18:27 UTC 2014

Joyce,

What kind of laptop is it?  Meaning what brand?  Does it have the extended
keys giving you a full keyboard that included the keypad?  That will help us
with your keyboard layout.

I have Windows 8 on an HP laptop and from left to right on the bottom row, I
have control, function, windows, alt, spacebar, alt, control, left arrow, up
and down arrow, right arrow. Then I get into the keypad, as I have one with
the built in keypad.

If you could tell us a little more about what kind of computer, brand  you
have that would be helpful.

Also, with the laptops, your function keys are programmed to do special
functions like volume up and down, internet on and off, things like that.
You will need someone sighted to go into the settings and release the
function keys so they can be used easily with the screen reader.  Otherwise,
until they are released you can use the screen reader keystrokes that
include the f keys, by also simultaneously holding down the function key in
the bottom left while performing the screen reader keystroke that requires
one of the 10 f keys.
Dixie
@-> ~ <-@