[Nfb-krafters-korner] ot fashion

jill jillbilly4 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 9 03:34:12 UTC 2014

Hi,

Here is some info I received and thought might be of interest to some of
you.

Jill

New audio channel makes fashion accessible for people with disabilities

Submitted by: Suzy Barnes

In a partnership dedicated to making information about fashion accessible to
people who have disabilities, Emily Davison and Laura Legendary have created
Fashionability, a social media franchise consisting of an audio channel on
the Audioboo platform, a Facebook group and page, a Twitter account, and a
blog and RSS feed.

Davison, blogger on the Fashioneyesta.com blog based in the UK, and
Legendary, designer and owner of Elegant Insights Braille Creations, based
in the US, joined forces in a very stylish collaboration to create an audio
guide to accessible style.

The Fashionability channel aims to cover many aspects of fashion and beauty,
jewelry and accessories, health and fitness, to provide tips and education,
as well as to raise awareness about representation of people with
disabilities in the media. I have been campaigning with a team of dedicated
individuals with the organization Models of Diversity to target fashion
brands to add models with disabilities to their advertising campaigns. Says
Davison. there is the fundamental fact that people with disabilities are not
equally represented in the fashion advertising industry. This immediately
creates problems for people with disabilities as it shows society that
disability is not considered to be relevant to fashion and thus all these
unfair stereotypes occur.

Content on the Fashionability channel will also be provided by guest
contributors, people with disabilities who are subject matter experts in a
variety of fashion-related topics. One such contributor is the organization
Living Paintings, www.livingpaintings.org, based in the UK.

The Fashionability channel is set to launch on September 19, 2014, and will
be available via RSS feed and in the Lifestyles category on Audioboo,

www.audioboo.fm

Plans are also in the works for text transcripts of the audio programming,
which will be made available on the Fashionability blog. The Fashionability
brand will focus on accessibility and inclusion, says Legendary. When most
people think of fashion, or more broadly, style, they may think of it only
in terms of a visual medium. The lack of accessible information suggests
that people with disabilities are somehow less interested in looking and
feeling their best. I hope that, with the help of Emily and our
contributors, we can create a resource inclusive of all walks of life, all
ages, all socio-economic strata, all body types and all abilities. I want to
provide sensible, approachable, fashion and style information that is within
reach...of everyone.

For more information, send an email to:
fashionabilitychannel at gmail.com

Visit the Fashionability Channel at