[Nfb-krafters-korner] Memories

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Thu Sep 4 16:07:45 UTC 2014

Talking about making things out of ice cream sticks, sparked a memory for
me that I had to share.

Going back to my sighted days and when I was into craft shows and babies
and little kids, I made sock dolls and especially sock clowns.

I don't know where I saw this or how John, muy husband came up with it, but
 he would take wooden clothes pins.  The ones that have the metal thingy
that you could press and it opens up the other end.  Well by taking out the
metal and just using the wooden parts, he would glue them together and make
a  small rocking chair out of them.  I would make a sock doll out of a
child's  cotton sock.  She would have a calico dress with a hat that was trimmed
in  a small width lace with yarn hair and an embroidered face.  I would put
her  in the chair and sell the doll sitting in the chair.  He then designed
out  of the wooden clothes pins a cradle.  I made a calico mattress with a
pillow and sold just that without any doll.  There was a picture in the
past of him sitting at the kitchen table with some of them being made and some
sitting with the glue drying.  No glue gun use for this..  It was  tacky
clue.

I never did save one of those for keepsake, but my Mom has one of the dolls
 sitting in the rocking chair still on her dresser.  That will be my
keepsake some day.

Joyce