[Nfb-krafters-korner] question about knitting

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Fri Sep 19 11:48:34 UTC 2014

Lovette,

Below is the same response I provided to you on another list, but once I saw
your post here I thought members on this list might find my response
helpful.

If it were me and I was only a little ways into the project, I would rip it
out and start over.  If for some reason I could not bring myself to rip it
all out, I might rip out only that row were I noticed the problem.  I would
do this stitch by stitch.  If you are only talking a small section less than
20 stitches, then you could begin by significantly loosening up the most
recent stitch, then loosing up the next stitch by pulling the slack from the
first stitch.  Continue working the next stitch in line until all stitches
have been loosened.  The problem with this process is that you have no way
of determining how much slack to put into that first stitch so that you have
enough additional yarn to appropriate loosen up all the effected stitches.
This would not be a preferred method if it were a large project or if the
problem was significant.

I advocate that you start over or rip back.  Also, try to analyze why the
problem occurred.  Are you trying to compensate for your work wanting to
slip off of your needles?  This is frequently the case if you are using
metal needles and some types of plastic needles.  Some types of yarn just do
not play well with some types of needles.  Are you holding your needles
and/or yarn too tightly?  Are you putting too much tension on your yarn as
you make each stitch and causing the previous stitch to tighten up?  Do you
work close to the tips of your needles and run into a problem with stitches
falling off of your needles?

HTH,
Annette