[Nfb-krafters-korner] Template for cutting

ncbootman at gmail.com ncbootman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 16:17:28 UTC 2015

Lindy,

When you measure your pillow, take something and measure across the pillow
from edge to edge. Then, I would add just a little more for the size of the
pillow. A mistake some people make is to lay the pillow down and lay a flat
measuring device flat beside it and measure that. Your pillow is not flat.
It has thickness and you have to allow for that. The technique of laying the
pillow on paper and drawing around it also will not work. The reason for
adding just a little to that measurement you get by measuring across is that
this is not a cover that you want to fit tightly. Also, when you wash the
cover, there is a chance it is going to shrink a little. If your cover is a
little bigger, it has room for this. And, don't forget to measure both
across and up and down and to add for your fringes too. I bet you will think
when you get the measurements that the number looks huge! Just remember that
you have to add here and there for all these different factors. It's quite
easy. But, it does require a little thought.

Here's a hint. If you are not comfortable doing all of that measuring and
adding, lay the fleece on your pillow. Find the edge and go out maybe 5
inches on each side. This assumes a 4 inch fringe. That way if one of your
fringes is a tiny bit over the line, you can still cover the pillow. When
you find where to cut the one side, fold the fabric and pin it so you can
cut along the line. Yes. You may create a little more scrap this way. But,
it insures you can do the project and since fleece doesn't unravel, there's
a lot you can do with your scraps. Don't be afraid to use lots of pins along
that fold if you are unsure the first time. They will hold the fabric fold
good. Put them maybe an inch in from the edge so you can cut between the
pins and the crease of the fold. By folding and pinning, you can keep
measuring till you feel confident that the size is what you want. If you
think it's wrong, take out the pins, and start all over.

Also, for the first project, if you choose a pattern that does not require
straightness, it is better if you can't see. Snowflakes can land anywhere.
If it has trucks and cars, they need to be sitting flat so they can drive
along. Otherwise, you'll drive sighted people crazy. Or, maybe that is your
goal. (Big big smile).

I hope this helps.

Greg