[Nfb-krafters-korner] Thanks for a Great Party

ncbootman at gmail.com ncbootman at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 02:01:49 UTC 2015

Thanks for this explanation.

Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: Hettie via Nfb-krafters-korner
Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2015 5:58 AM
To: 'List for blind crafters and artists'
Cc: Hettie
Subject: Re: [Nfb-krafters-korner] Thanks for a Great Party

Greg

Cookies are the softer ones and biscuits are harder. I think the difference
also differs in English and Afrikaans speakers. We call it cookies and the
English speaking people call it biscuits.
The other typical South African bake is called "Beskuit" which is made with
flour, heast milk or water.
The ingredients are mixed and then kneed until the right texture. Then you
place it in a large container and allow it to rise to double the original
size, like home-made bread.
After a few hours it is kneed down again. Some people allow it to rise to
double the size again.
Before it is rolled in balls it is kneed down last time.
The balls are them packed in baking pans and left to again rise before
placed in a moderate hot oven.
When it comes out of the pans you leave it to cool before braking them into
sizes determined by the original balls.
I cut them into the size I like best as it is easier to have your beskuit
all the same size. This is the stage you need to keep it out of reach of
kids and adults as we love it warm with or without butter.
If you succeed in having wet beskuit to dry, it is placed on the oven racks
to dry in a cool oven.
I place a wooden spoon to keep the oven door slightly open to allow the
steam to escape during the drying process.
The other beskuit is where you us self-rising flour and butter milk, eggs
and raisons, and whatever healthy seeds you want to use.
Hope this gives you an idea of our "boere beskuit" farmer beskuit as it was
baked by the farmer's wives when there wasn't ingredients in the house to
bake anything else. It also keeps for a longer time when people went gaming.
Beskuit is still very popular as the first snack with your first cup of
early morning coffee.

Hettie

Live a healthy life with fantastic Cape Aloe products
www.naturalaloehealth.co.za

For the Best webpage design this side of the Sahara, contact Equadoor Web
Design & Marketing Services CC
www.equadoor.com