[Nfb-krafters-korner] shades of brown explored

Cathy flowersandherbs at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 00:36:11 UTC 2015

Hello all,

As usual, my active and curious mind has me researching on the internet. I
was meditating on the many shades of the color brown. Some of these shades I
can remember seeing and others I cannot. So here is a partial list of browns
and their descriptions for your own enjoyment and meditation. Personally, I
have a headache now. <grin>
Why do I have a headache you ask? Well examine this list and you will notice
that some of the colors have the same descriptions. hmm, how many yellowish
browns can there be; or are they all the same shade with different names? oh
my, and the same goes for reddish brown colors. <sigh> please pass the
Advil. Oh thanks so much.

Btw, people have described my hair color as either seal or mink brown. It is
a dark brown but I have no idea what a seal or mink looks like for that
matter. Hmm, are both animals the same shade of brown, or which of these
animals do I share my hair color with?  <LOLL>

Browns

Auburn is a dark reddish- brown color, often used to describe hair color.
Beige is a slightly yellowish gray color, as that of unbleached wool.
Bister (or bister is a mid-to-dark warm brown, with a yellowish cast.
Buff is a pale, brownish yellow color.
Burnt sienna is a dark reddish brown color, like that of roasted sienna.
Copper is a reddish-brown.
Liver is a dark brown chocolate color.
Maroon is a dark red, somewhat brownish, color.
Mahogany is a reddish-brown color, like that of mahogany.
Russet is a brown color with a reddish tinge.
Rust is a reddish- brown color.
Seal brown is a rich dark brown color.
Sepia is a dark brown-grey color
Tan is a brownish, tawny color.
Tawny is a light brown to brownish orange color
Umber is a natural brown or reddish-brown earth pigment.
Walnut is a Dark brown color, the color of walnut wood.
Wheat is a light brown color, like that of wheat

Cathy F