[Nfb-krafters-korner] questions regarding mosaic tiles

Lindy van der Merwe stephlin at iafrica.com
Tue May 5 07:25:38 UTC 2015

Hi Joyce,

I have made one or two pieces and have enjoyed it a lot. I don't know much
beyond the basics, but here goes:

You should be able to find mosaic kits at craft stores which usually will
contain some tiles and the grout and sometimes also something to make, like,
for instance, a picture frame, a small wooden tray, a wooden cross, or the
lid of a wooden box, etc.
Often the kits will have the tiles matched in terms of colors going
together, or you may find a kit with all the tiles the same color and shape.
So, all you have to do is place them on the tray to cover the surface and
then pour over the grout.
The one piece I made was a picture frame. It was basically a wooden square
and it also had pieces of tile, which were random shapes, which I could just
place around the square to form a frame, but in no particular pattern. It
was like pieces of glass, with random shapes and sizes, but the end result
was very nice. BTW some of the mosaic tiles have an adhesive backing if I
remember correctly, but one can also use glue for extra durability and the
grout also helps with this. If it is something like a tray, you might also
have to put something on the tiles to make the surface water proof.

Alternatively, I have seen packs of tiles sold separately, where you can
choose from many different shapes and colors to make your project more
unique. Often one can find the wooden objects to cover just next to the
tiles.
One thing I have thought of but have not done myself is to perhaps use a
simple wooden board and then to use tiles to make print or braille letters
to create some kind of message or word on the board. I think this might be
quite unique.

I think you should be able to find good supplies on-line too.

Lastly, I agree that an e-mail class to make something with mosaic tiles
would be a great idea to work on some of the techniques and to share as we
all learn together.

HTH

Lindy