[Nfb-krafters-korner] Pansies

Cathy flowersandherbs at gmail.com
Mon May 11 03:26:51 UTC 2015

Hi Joyce,

This was posted by Karen who had replied to your post about the description
of pansies. Good article btw Karen.

Joyce, Pansies were my grandmother's favorite flower. I found this
information page that says in part:

Pansy blooms are single with five petals that are rounded in shape. Pansy
flowers have one of three basic color patterns. Blooms can be single, clear
color, such as yellow or blue. A second pattern is a single color having
black lines radiating from its center. these lines are called penciling and
are similar to viola markings. The last type of flower is probably the one
most familiar to home gardeners. The bloom of this type has a dark center
called a "face."

The pansy has one of the widest color ranges of any garden annual. Included
in the wide color range are red, purple, blue, bronze, pink, black, yellow,
white, lavender, orange, apricot and mahogany. the flowers may be of a
single color or have two or three colors with a face.

The plant itself is compact, not more than 9 inches in both height and
spread, and bears many stems. the medium green, coarsely notched leaves are
oval or heart-shaped.

Varieties

Gardeners can choose pansy varieties based on the size of bloom and color
combination. The size of a pansy bloom will fall into three categories:

Large-3 to 4 inches (9 to 11.5 cm.)
Medium-2 to 3 inches (6 to 9 cm.)
Multiflora-1 to 2 inches (4 to 6 cm.)

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/archives/parsons/flowers/pansies.html