[Nfb-krafters-korner] Report is in

jill rossiter jillbilly4 at comcast.net
Wed May 13 17:20:07 UTC 2015

thank you for the report!
Jill

-----Original Message-----
From: Joyce Kane via Nfb-krafters-korner
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 11:07 PM
To: 'List for blind crafters and artists'
Cc: blindhands at aol.com
Subject: [Nfb-krafters-korner] Report is in

I had told you that I ordered some yarn threaders.  I have received them and
tried them out tonight.  Here is my report.

I want to first tell you where I got them from.

http://www.patternworks.com/default.aspx

I do not think you will find them on this website as I had called them up
and told them what I was looking for.  So you don't get confused there are 3
stores within this place.  Keepsake Quilting[fabric & quilting,
Patternworks-all types of yarns and knitting/crocheting supplies & patterns
and I am not sure if the third one is Needle Works, but when you call them
up for ordering things they will take orders from all 3 stores.    Needle
works have needle point, embroidery and yarns for that.  I never went into
the Needleworks shop.  All 3 of them are located together, but each has
their own store and door to go into.

Back to my report:

The yarn threaders were from the Needleworks part.  I got basically 2 types
of yarn threaders.

Clover put one out cost was $9.99  This one was really good especially for
thicker yarn.  Instead of a wire to put the thread thru, it had a piece of
very thin metal shaped similar to the wire type ones, but more sturdy.  It
has a plastic type of nob handle and has a protector cap that fits over the
2 metal pieces that have a bit of a curve outward that you can put the yarn
thru and pull it thru the eye of a needle.

I got the plastic canvas needles that Terry suggested she uses and tested it
out on Size 16 needles.  This worked perfect with that needle and I like to
use the large plastic yarn needles with the very large eye and this worked
perfectly with that, too.

I do not know the make of this other one, but the yarn threader came from
Meedleworks and comes in 2 shapes.  A dog & a cat, price was a little more
then $7 each..  I hesitated about these, but let me describe them to you.
The dog and cat is a thin metal and it has a hook on one end.  The hook is
small, but it hooked well with the worstered weight yarn.  What I was
hesitant  about was that it is not too large and I wondered if I would have
trouble holding on to it.  I didn't have any trouble holding on and the
great advantage to this little thing is there is a magnet attached to the
back side so when you put it thru the needle it sticks to the needle with
the magnet so it doesn't fall out.  The hook is small and worked great with
worstered yarn.  I don't know how it would work with thick yarn, but I think
it will work OK.  Now if you had a plastic needle and the eye was really
big, I don't think you would need a needle threader.  The dog and cat came
in this little plastic pouch type package which has a round magnetthat holds
the dog in place on a cardboard card that fits perfectly in this plastic
pouch.  You will have to  be careful when taking it off the magnet that
holds it on the card.  As I dropped it and then had to be careful when I
stood up to look for it.

I can't say which one I like better.  As I was looking for a thin round type
circle  that I could push thru the eye of the needle and put the yarn thru
it and pull it thru.  I did not want the wire as they are too thin and break
quickly and would not stand up using yarn.

The clover one is a bit more sturdy, but I like both of them.  Yes I did get
a dog and a cat one.

Joyce