[Nfb-krafters-korner] To Teach or not to teach

blindhands at aol.com blindhands at aol.com
Wed Nov 4 23:24:45 UTC 2015

Cindy,

You are a great teacher, but you have heard from other blind folks how they
have been discouraged in trying to do things from the sighted world.  The
sighted world just think if you can't see, you can't do it!  Some out there
like the craft teacher  that Lisa is dealing with and I bet everyone here on
this list has their own story about being refused the chance to learn, try
and be guided and encouraged to do a craft, sew on a sewing machine, type on
a computer make hand woven items, spin pottery, do I need to go on?  No we
don't do it the same way a sighted person accomplishes these tasks, but
people out there just don't think how would I do it if I couldn't see?

They are blinded by the thought of not being able to do it without sight.

Folks like you have looked beyond that and  taken the time to help us find a
way to do it.  I would guess you have learned from us, too.

Theresa & Ken Taylor  have moved up to Vermont looking for a place to set up
a learning center for the handicap that will give the opportunity for the
handicap to teach the non handicap the abilities and the know how of the
handicap.

If we don't take the time to teach them how we do it, then how can they
teach others no matter what their handicap is.

Joyce Kane