[Nfb-krafters-korner] She is home!!!!

blindhands at aol.com blindhands at aol.com
Mon Oct 5 19:49:46 UTC 2015

Greg,

In the last 18 years that I had my Seeing Eye dog they taught us to ride
with the dog in the front seat curled up in the part you place  your feet
in.  After I got my first Seeing Eye dog we went to the dealership to
purchase a van and tested it first to be sure she could bet into the van and
then fit between the 2 seats and stretch out toward  the back.  In any
regular car she sat curled up at my feet.

As I did say  I did consider getting in the back seat with her, but I felt
better that I had a pair of eyes to see what was going on.  She sat
perfectly well and relaxed very quickly.  So everything went OK.

I had like 5 minutes of meeting her and making these decisions and if I
could have gotten her to lie down like my other Seeing Eye dogs I would
have, but at least with the way I did this I had total control of her and
could feel what she was doing and if she was nervous and all of that.  It
was a judgement call on my part and we got home all in one piece and safely.

I even considered bringing a crate to put her in the back seat, but I didn't
have any idea of her size.  They told me 15 pounds.  Well have you ever
tried to think about how large a 15 poundf dog could be?  Dachshunds are
packed a lot smaller and closer to the ground.  She is a lot of legs and
long thin body.  My son thought from the pictures she was a much smaller &
younger pup.  She feels heavier then 15 pounds, but heck I don't know.  When
I bring her to the vet in a week I will let you know.

Joyce