[Nfb-krafters-korner] String Art?

Dixie cobaltblueheron at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 13:36:18 UTC 2015

I used to do a craft that was called String Art back in the 70s.

Basically you have a paper pattern you placed on a board.  The board was
wrapped in a dark color fabric.

The pattern was marked with dots, and you nail in a brad or small nail into
the board at each dot on the paper.  The brads would stick up about a
quarter of an inch from the face of the board.  Sort of like pegs on a loom.
You then ripped the paper off the board when the brads were all in place.

Now using the directions you wrap the string around the brads to make a
picture.  The string would for example start off at brad number 1 and then
go across to brad number 12, then down to brad number 2 then up to brad
number 13, back down to brad 3, an up to brad number 14.  You would keep on
working the string according to the directions.  A picture would appear out
of the string.  I had made one that was a sailboat that I remember.  There
were 3 sections of brads, one section was for the hull of the boat, another
for the sail, and a third grouping of brads was for a crescent moon in the
upper left corner of the board.

Each section of string would go back and forth across that section making a
sort of starburst effect as the section became filled.

Dixie
@-> ~ <-@