[Nfb-krafters-korner] two Ot'S

Lauren Merryfield lauren at catlines.com
Mon Oct 26 06:32:13 UTC 2015

Hi,
I've sung in formal choirs where they gave me a chair behind me that didn't show. The opinion that a chair looks less professional is part of the problem. Disabled people are often treated as if we are a blemish, less professionall-looking, stick out like a sore thumb, when all we want is to be included. That a chair looks less professional sounds arrogant to me, especially because on some occasions, in certain circumstances, I've used one and things were fine. One choir, not related to a particular church, began recording the music on tapes for everyone, not just me. They allowed for chairs for several members; not just me. They told me I had given them some options that affected their idea of diversity and they wanted their choir to represent anyone who passed the auditions and could sing with them.

The trouble with my church is that what they really want is for disabled people to be healed. When we aren't, they become very uncomfortable. Some of them would not want an "unhealed" person up in front of everyone. I really like my church so I am hoping they will bend some pretty soon. I've been really patient with them. But I'm feeling the stirrings of less patience coming on.
Thanks,
Lauren, who can only take so much
Blessings in Jesus’ name:
My digital evangelism blog is at:
www dot ask in jesus name dot org (you need to retype it)
Psalm 34:1-2 I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. My soul shall make her boast in the Lord: the humble shall hear thereof, and be glad.
Advice from my cats:”meow when you feel like it.”