[Nfb-krafters-korner] Sewing Machine

Lindy van der Merwe stephlin at iafrica.com
Mon Sep 7 15:50:56 UTC 2015

Joyce, What does the bobbin & top thread cutter do? Is it like a place on the machine where you can slide the thread into to be cut?
Barb, I have a Singer Futura 350. It is also an electronic machine and I love it.
For those interested, I don't think that all electronic machines are inaccessible since not all of them have touch screens.
My machine actually has sliders and buttons and audible feedback, which means that it beeps when you move a slider or when you press a button. What this means is that you can, e.g. count the beeps to get to the stitch you are looking for. I have a button for the tens and one for the ones, so when I want to go to stitch 46, I press the tens button 4 times and the ones button 6 times.
Also, at the bottom of the panel of the machine there are a row of buttons for most used stitches, which makes it quite easy to get to a straight stitch, for instance.
My machine has a fairly easy thread path with no need to pull the thread through small places. It has a drop in bobbin and an automatic needle threader. I thought I'd not be able to use the automatic threader, but after some practice I have mastered it. The only thing I will say is that the automatic needle threader easily bends so you have to handle it with care. Mine is out of action at the moment, so I just use one of my other threaders, which works well also.
I have found that for the automatic threader to work, you have to hold the thread taut in a certain way and then you have to let go of a lever you have pulled down. As the lever is released, you have to let go of the thread at the same time. The release of the lever pulls the thread through the eye of the needle from front to back. You can then grab it from just behind the eye of the needle and pull it towards the back. At first I had trouble feeling the small loop just behind the needle, but this too became easier with practice.
HTH
Lindy