[Nfb-krafters-korner] Question about sewing machines

blindhands at aol.com blindhands at aol.com
Wed Sep 30 22:41:50 UTC 2015

This helps me out a lot.

I will tell you I have owned several Brand of sewing machines and I have
bought used machines and new machines.  At this stage of my life I was
looking for certain features.

I have  owned and used Brother, Singer, Bernina, Elna machines.

So My friend just went out and I was with her so heard all the details on
this Bernina Quilting Sewing machine she purchased.  She had to trade in her
old Bernina 17 year old Bernina] and she paid over $5 thousand.

  Her machine is loaded, but it does not have the embroidery unit.

I have seen a Brother machine in Walmart for just under $300 that has the
features I was looking forand that I think are helpful.  I am not sure if
they are exactly like what I have in my Brother 420 machine, but it is worth
doing some research online and compare the Brother machines and their
features.

The one in WalMart had the needle threader, the bobbin and needle thread
cutter, the extension table the buttonhole foot that will automatically make
a buttonhole the size to fit the button once you set the dials to the
buttonhole feature.

Now let me say that folks here have said they have the thread cutter that
you pull both threads away from the foot & and there is an area you pull the
thread thru and it cuts it.  That is not the automatic bobbin and needle
cutter.  This feature I first learned about on the Bernina sewing machine.
There is a button up front on your machine that you push and it cuts both
top and lower thread close enough to the fabric that I can't feel it by
touching.  The best thing is after you cut, you can put another piece of
fabric in and just sew and not worry that the top or bottom thread got
disturbed from you pulling it.  There is also a button in the same area that
you can push and it will back space used to lock in beginning or ending of
stitching.

I am sorry I don't know the model # of the Brother machine, but search on
the Brother website and read up and then go shopping.

If you know what you are looking for EBay is a good place to compare prices.

On Brother wevbsite the prices they have there are higher then you can get
them else where.

Joyce