[Nfb-krafters-korner] Introduction

Valerie snowflake9587 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 15:12:52 UTC 2016

Hi, my name is Valerie. Some of you may know me already from the knitting class we had recently. I’m a totally blind college student majoring in art, with a focus on ceramics. I became a member of this group a little over a week ago, so thought I should introduce myself. I’m interested in learning more about knitting and crochet, as I’m a beginner in both, and would also like to learn any sorts of crafts that involve weaving, beading, and everything in between. I know how to make those Braille pictures that people have been talking about, but hope to get a copy of the Perkins book some day. I live in California, and have tried to see if the Braille Institute has a copy that I can borrow, but no luck there. I know a little origami, how to make a butterfly, fox, lily, and two versions of the crane, one that can be made into mobiles and hung up, and the other crane which can flap its wings when its tail is gently pulled. I know a little about papier-mâché as well, but would like to do more with it. I also draw with the help of tactile graphics kits which either use plastic or metallic paper, and I also have a pen which enables one to draw by means of melted wax.
I live in a household of 4 blind folks, 3 guide dogs, and a cockatiel. I love birds, art of any kind, and children.
I hope everyone has a nice day. I’m heading out to volunteer at a parrot sanctuary soon, so I should send this off.
God bless,
Valerie