[Nfb-krafters-korner] nella is a naughty girl!

Nella Foster jellybeanfarm at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 22:21:21 UTC 2016

Here is what Wikipedia has to say about heirloom plants.

The definition and use of the word heirloom to describe plants is fiercely
debated.

One school of thought places an age or date point on the cultivars. For
instance, one school says the cultivar must be over 100 years old, others 50
years, and others prefer the date of 1945, which marks the end of World War
II and roughly the beginning of widespread hybrid use by growers and seed
companies. Many gardeners consider 1951 to be the latest year a plant could
have originated and still be called an heirloom, since that year marked the
widespread introduction of the first hybrid varieties. It was in the 1970s
that hybrid seeds began to proliferate in the commercial seed trade. Some
heirloom varieties are much older; some are apparently pre-historic.

Another way of defining heirloom cultivars is to use the definition of the
word heirloom in its truest sense. Under this interpretation, a true
heirloom is a cultivar that has been nurtured, selected, and handed down
from one family member to another for many generations.

Additionally, there is another category of cultivars that could be
classified as "commercial heirlooms": cultivars that were introduced many
generations ago and were of such merit that they have been saved, maintained
and handed down - even if the seed company has gone out of business or
otherwise dropped the line. Additionally, many old commercial releases have
actually been family heirlooms that a seed company obtained and introduced.

Regardless of a person's specific interpretation, most authorities agree
that heirlooms, by definition, must be open-pollinated. They may also be
open-pollinated varieties that were bred and stabilized using classic
breeding practices. While there are no genetically modified tomatoes
available for commercial or home use, it is generally agreed that no
genetically modified organisms can be considered heirloom cultivars. Another
important point of discussion is that without the ongoing growing and
storage of heirloom plants, the seed companies and the government will
control all seed distribution. Most, if not all, hybrid plants, if regrown,
will not be the same as the original hybrid plant, thus ensuring the
dependency on seed distributors for future crops.

Benefits[edit]

Typically, heirlooms have adapted over time to the climate and soil they
have been grown in. Due to their genetics, they are often resistant to local
pests, diseases, and extremes of weather.