[Nfb-krafters-korner] Tea Cup Auctions and Knitty Knottys

Dixie cobaltblueheron at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 00:11:36 UTC 2016

A tea cup auction is on in which you purchase numbered tickets.  You know
the kind you put in a drawing and the other with the same number you keep,
like the ones they use for door prizes and the like.

Anyway, you purchase the tickets, say $1 per piece.  Then you walk around
and look at the items that are up for auction. Each item has a tea cup next
to it.  If you want a chance to win the item you put one of your tickets in
the corresponding tea cup.    If you really like the item you put more
tickets in the tea cup in hopes to have a better chance of winning it.  At
the end of the auction, one ticket is pulled out of the tea cup and that is
the winner of the item.

To keep this on topic. The tea cup auction I won the yarn at was at the
Connecticut Sheep Breeder's holiday dinner.  Many of the items were wool for
spinning, hand spun yarn, and things like knitting needles and knitty
knottys.

I know...  the next question is: "What is a knitty knotty?"

This is an item one uses to wrap handspun wool into hanks.  It is shaped
like a print letter I.  About 18 inches long.  The 2 cross bars, the top and
bottom of the I are perpendicular to each other.   To wind the yarn you hold
your non-dominant hand in the middle of the upright of the I.  Then, hold
the end of the yarn against the upright.  Now with your dominant hand, you
wrap the yarn up and over the left end of the top crossbar, down to the
right end of the lower cross bar, up to the right end of the top cross bar ,
and then down to the left end of the bottom cross bar.  Then you go back up
to the left end of the top crossbar and continue on.  When your yarn is all
wrapped and you ease the yarn off the knitty knotty, you have a large 3 foot
in diameter circle of yarn.  You then twist it so it twists against itself
to make the hank.

Dixie
@-> ~ <-@